Monday, February 15, 2010

Mad for Mexican











Okay, I guess I love more than fish tacos. Lately I've been into Mexican food in general. Not grease laden, deep fried, overly cheesy [insert air quotes] Mexican, but fresh Mexican at home. Jill would say it means I'm ready to move to San Diego, but I think it's just become my new way of healthy cooking for one. Not that I don't [heart] San Diego...

No troughs of food to eat for days on end or to give away so I don't feel guilty for wasting food (thanks, Ma). No gallons of soup to find containers to store and divvy up. (Which does not mean I don't like to share food.) Sometimes it's just easier to cook something quickly for myself, eat, and be done with it.

I can make one or two fish tacos, one or two quesadillas. Quesadillas in particular are a perfect way to combine leftover ingredients with pantry items and fridge (and freezer) staples and the produce I can't walk by in the grocery store without putting in my basket. If I have a beautiful avocado I couldn't resist I can make guacamole; if I don't I do without. No leftover chicken? My quesadillas are vegetarian that night. Those mushrooms starting to go funky in the crisper? I'll throw them right in the saute pan. As for my fish tacos, I prefer the traditional shredded cabbage, but if I only have lettuce on hand, that works fine. And if I don't have a fresh tomato, I can use diced, canned tomatoes in a pinch.

I suppose as with any ethnic cuisine, it utilizes what's fresh and available. Part frugality, part creativity, and no recipe required.

2 comments:

Tam and John said...

You should quit teaching and be on a cooking show. I'm serious.

jck said...

Don't I wish...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin