Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Murphy's Law Morning

I started ahead of schedule this morning. I resisted the urge to hit snooze and got right up and into the shower. I decided to cut my morning ritual of enjoying my coffee and watching the news a few minutes short, and got my lunch together before heading back upstairs to dry my hair and get dressed and do all that get-ready-for-work stuff.

I had an idea of what I wanted to wear—my grey pants with either a black blazer or a black v-neck sweater. First I tried on the pants. They looked good. Then I decided to go with a blazer. I reached in my closet and grabbed the wrong one—one that hasn’t fit right in a couple years—but it fit! (Yay, me!)

That’s when naysayer Murphy took control of my morning.

As I gave my outfit the final once-over in my full length mirror, I realized that my pants were ripped between the legs. Sh*t! So back into my bedroom I went and to put on some black pants, now apparently dressed for a funeral, not school, and headed downstairs. I couldn’t find the slide I wanted to wear on my silver collar, so I grabbed another that was on my end table, but I noticed that it needed polishing, so I grabbed my polishing cloth and put it in my purse. I also noticed, as I had then been walking around in my new shoes for a few minutes, that I need inserts for my shoes. I ran back upstairs to grab a set of those out of another pair of shoes and threw them into my purse too. Finally, I could go. I poured my coffee in a commuter mug, grabbed my lunch that I had already prepared, and headed out the door.

Only when I got to my hallway mirror, I noticed that I had some unidentified crud on my v-neck shirt. Good thing I had a camisole/tank on under that (don't ask), which would be fine to wear alone under the blazer—but the partial disrobing would have to wait. My early start was no longer early enough to get me to school on time.

I got into my car and realized I didn’t have my folder full of labs that I took in last night to correct but didn’t even open. I went back into the house to get the damn folder, got back in the car, and finally started my journey to school, knowing I would not be on time. So I broke Oprah’s No Phone Zone rule (sorry!) and called school to say I’d be a few minutes late, but didn’t need coverage since I didn’t have a class first period…

Thank God, because once I finally got there, I still had my necklace to polish, my inserts to put in my shoes, and my shirt to take off in the biology prep room. Then I had to go to the bathroom to make sure there was nothing else I overlooked—toothpaste on my chin or lapel, mascara in my bangs. Which I didn't.

Tomorrow I'm going to hit snooze. Twice.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin