Monday, January 26, 2009

Peace and Quiet

Every morning I take a half hour to sit quietly with my coffee, watch some morning news, sometimes check email, before I get ready for work. Often, it impresses me while I sit there that it feels a lot like nighttime, after work, when I am settling down and have time to myself. I suppose that is precisely why I take the time in the morning. I like to sit in peace before I move on and rush through a day with bells that signal when class ends and begins, when I can make a mad 4 minute dash to the bathroom, and when I can take 20 minutes to prepare and eat my lunch. The nature of a school day makes me feel rushed all day, so I don't like to do that to myself in the morning.

Also, perhaps because I spend a good part of my day in hallways full of loud teenagers, whenever possible I avoid loud noise. I have admitted herein to having a hearty laugh, and have been to dozens of concerts in my lifetime, but I'm talking about noise. Especially screaming.

A couple of years ago there was a commercial in which someone cuts his tongue off in a blender [cue the horror flick screaming here]. I used to change the channel. Currently there is a commercial in which a swarm of hysterical women runs screaming after a truck full of 100 calorie Oreo "cakesters". Okay, this ad offends me on many levels, but the screaming assaults me. It's loud, and unpleasant, and it sounds like people are being tortured. It sends shivers up my spine. I can't stand it. As quickly as I can, I hit mute.

Fortunately, I have not seen that commercial in the morning when I am trying to center myself and prepare for a day in the trenches. Still, you can rest assured I will not buy any Oreo 100 calorie packs.

Ever.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin