Saturday, October 25, 2008

Feasting My Eyes


Despite the fact that I filled my gas tank for less than $40 today (I can't remember the last time that happened!), eating out isn't really an option for me this weekend. But it is the weekend, and I really wanted to treat myself to something special. So while I was doing my bargain grocery shopping--lists and coupons in hand, I put a few things in my cart that wouldn't break the bank but would make me feel special.

Crostini, made with a few slices of baguette (that was on sale for 84 cents); a scoop of olive-bar, pitted olives (I hate to pay for the pits); a quarter pound of deli roast beef (also on sale, of course); a few slices of a $2 (read: already small) piece of smoked Gouda; and some Laughing Cow light garlic and herb cheese (if I'm going to count pennies, I may as well count calories) arranged on one of my favorite olive motif plates (from C&B, of course) made me feel just that. Once I poured a glass of wine, I may as well have been sitting on the Arno or Seine. (Especially since I had my camera.)

And to think, I could have stopped for a subway sandwich or gone through a drive-thru....

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin